Choral Accompanying Anxiety

Because I’m a sucker for choral music and terrified of mental atrophy, I am once again the pianist for the Boston Conservatory Chorale this semester. 99% of the time when I’m accompanying a chorus, I’m really enjoying myself. The other 1% of the time, I’m having a panic attack and restraining myself from crawling into fetal position under the piano.

One problem I suffer from is The Curse of the Disappearing Entrance. You know that moment when the conductor says, “From bar 53,” or “From rehearsal Q,” or “From the alto entrance on laudate,” and you can’t find the spot anywhere? You turn the pages back and forth frantically, but that bar has gone invisible on you, even though you played it just a few minutes ago? I hate when that happens.

I’ve witnessed super-awesome pianists falling victim to The Curse, so I’m fairly certain that it’s an unavoidable, inconvenient phenomenon. Just like how you always pick the slowest checkout lane, even when you trick yourself by picking one line and getting in a different line. It’s a conspiracy, I tell you.

Another problem I suffer from is Open Score Reading Brain Fart. My least favorite question of all time is: “Eileen, could you play that really interesting chord in the chorus part?” <INSERT AWKWARD PAUSE HERE.>

What’s happening during that awkward pause?

Let’s see… Left hand B2 B1 T2 T1, right hand A2 A1 S2 S1. Tenor is in treble clef, not bass clef. My hand can’t reach that interv—oh right, an octave down. OMG, the whole chorus is waiting for me. T2 is lower than B1, tricky bastard. OK, right hand. Hurry up and think harmonically. Dominant 7? F*** just play a chord, any chord!

This awkward, two-second pause feels like an eternity, during which time I also curse myself for studying chemistry instead of something useful like music theory. I’m actually quite capable of playing from open score as long as everyone is singing and not staring at me, waiting for me to play that “interesting chord.” I’m no Martin Amlin, that’s for sure, but hopefully my skills will improve with experience.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s